Thursday, November 6, 2008

Corey's Delicious Pepe is Not as Good as Me Spinach Enchiladas

I don't know about y'all, but there are certain foods I could eat all the time for the rest of my life. There is such a food from my hometown from a Mexican restaurant called Baja Cafe. This delicious creation is called Pepe's Spinach Enchiladas. Now if you're anything like me, spinach enchiladas sound gross. Cooked spinach? No thanks. And then I tried it.

Party in your mouth.

This particular tasty adventure cast a spell on me. I left Florida in August and haven't stopped thinking about these dumb enchiladas since. Stupid enchiladas. I mean these things were taking over my life. I even went so far as to wonder if my family would agree to Christmas Eve dinner at a Mexican restaurant, as I won't get home again until that day.

A few days ago, I decided enough was enough. I needed to do something about this crazy obsession with Pepe and his dumb enchiladas.

I considered going to a restaurant, but I knew there was no way it would be the same as Pepe. So on my drive home from voting/the bank Tuesday, I decided I needed to look up what the menu says is in this deliciousness.

PEPE'S SPINACH ENCHILADAS $10.99
A Saturday tradition in Baja California! Fresh spinach from Pepe’s garden that has been handpicked along with Spanish onions and garlic, sautéed gently with Cojita (Mexican cheese) and stuffed in two 6” flour tortillas. Topped with cheese and a dab of sour cream.

I have no idea what Spanish onions are, but figured yellow onions would be ok. I googled Cojita and it said it was "Tajo Cheese" is a moister, fattier, and less salty version of the cheese that holds its shape when cut, with a flavor similar to Parmesan or Feta. Being that I'm in Knoxville, there are not very many Mexican grocery stores, so off I went to the grocery to get the things I needed (and then made up some of the rest).

So here it is... The best thing I have ever made. Ever. Apologies that the measurements aren't exact - I was making it up as I went along.

I also forgot to take a picture during the entire thing.


Corey's Delicious Pepe is Not as Good as Me Spinach Enchiladas

Ingredients
Oil
3/4 small yellow onion
1 box frozen spinach
White Queso Melting Cheese (comes in a block in the cheese department, near the fresh Mozzarella and Brie)
Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream (or plain yogurt, like I used, for less calories)
1 garlic large garlic clove (you can use 2 if they're smaller)

1. Take the frozen spinach out of it's container and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high around 6 minutes, then use a fork to smash it out of the block it was in and back into the microwave for another 30-60 seconds.

2. While your spinach is in the microwave, pour enough oil on the bottom of a pan that is on medium heat to cover the bottom (about 2 Tbs). I used vegetable oil because I was out of Extra-Virgin Olive and didn't want to spend the money on it, but you can use either.

3. Cut your onion and garlic. I diced both.

4. Add onion to the hot oil, and when it begins to become clear, add your garlic. You don't want to add the garlic too soon because when garlic burns, it both stinks and tastes horrid.

5. While that's cooking, squeeze the water out of your spinach.

6. Once the onion and garlic are almost fully cooked, add your spinach. There may be some extra water in the spinach so be careful about the oil popping up.

7. Stir your spinach and mix with the onions and garlic. Take your blocked queso cheese and begin grating it over the spinach.



I used enough queso cheese so that when you looked at the spinach, you could see the white cheese in between the spinach. Yum!

8. Once you're happy with the amount of cheese to spinach, whip out your tortillas. I split mine between two.


9. Once you have all the spinach in your torillas, grate enough cheddar cheese on your enchiladas to make you happy and stick that baby in the microwave for just long enough to melt the cheese (around 45 seconds).

10. Once it is out of the microwave, plop a dollop of sour cream (or plain yogurt if you want to be like me) on top of it and enjoy the deliciousness that is Corey's Delicious Pepe is Not as Good as Me Spinach Enchiladas!!




Hope it's as good to you as it was to me!
- Corey

p.s. WHAT NOW PEPE!

No comments: